Serendipity Center Inc. (“Serendipity,” “we,” “us,” and “our”) respects your privacy and is committed to protecting it through compliance with this Privacy Notice (“Privacy Notice”). This Privacy Notice describes the types of Information we may collect from you when you visit the website at www.serendipitycenter.org (the “Site”), and that you may provide in electronic or telephonic messages with Serendipity. It also describes our practices for collecting, using, maintaining, protecting, and disclosing that Information.
Please read this Privacy Notice to understand our policies and practices regarding your Information and how we will handle it. If you do not agree with our policies and practices, do not use the Site. By accessing or using the Site, you agree to this Privacy Notice.
Serendipity may change this Privacy Notice at any time, at its discretion. Your continued use of the Site after we make changes is deemed to be acceptance of those changes, so please check the Privacy Notice periodically for updates.
2. The Types of Information That Serendipity Collects About You and How Serendipity Collects Information About You
Serendipity may collect two types of information from you when you visit the Site: Personal Information and Non-Personal Information (collectively “Information”).
- “Personal Information” refers to data by which you may be personally identified, such as name, phone number, or email address.
- “Non-Personal Information” means data that is about you, but does not identify you specifically. If you do nothing during your visit to our Site but browse, read pages, or view content, we will gather and store Information about your visit that does not identify you personally.
We collect Information:
- Directly from you when you provide it to us.
- Through our communications with you.
- Automatically as you navigate through the Site.
- Through third party analytics.
Information You Provide Directly to Serendipity. The Information that you provide us directly through our Site may include:
- Information that you provide when you contact us, subscribe to our mailing list, or make a donation.
- Information that you provide by filling in forms on our Site.
- Information that you provide when you enroll a child at Serendipity.
- Information that you provide when you apply for a position with Serendipity.
- Information that you provide when you report a problem with our Site. We may ask you for additional Information to resolve the problem.
- Information that you provide in connection with an inquiry you have.
- Records and copies of your correspondence (including email addresses), if you contact us.
Information Automatically Collected from You. The Information that Serendipity may automatically collect and store about you when you visit the Site may include:
- Your location;
- The Internet Protocol Address and domain name used. The Internet Protocol address is a numerical identifier assigned either to your internet service provider or directly to your computer. We use the Internet Protocol address to direct internet traffic to you;
- The date and time you visited the Site;
- The web pages or services you accessed at the Site;
- The website you visited prior to coming to the Site; and
- Cookies, which are small text files that a web server (such as Serendipity or its chosen web hosting company server) places on a user’s computer. When accessing a cookie, the Serendipity server reads a number associated with a browser, but is unable to determine any data about a user. With that number, our web server can tailor its content to the needs of the specific browser, and we can optimize the Site for your use.
Google Analytics Advertising Features. We also may have the following Google Analytics Advertising Features Implemented: Demographics and Interest reporting, Remarketing, GDN Impression Reporting and Double Click Campaign Manager. These features collect data using Google advertising cookies and anonymous identifiers. Serendipity and third party vendors use these first-party cookies to access the success of online marketing campaigns, inform future campaigns and improve usability on the Site. To learn how to opt-out of the Google Analytics Advertising Features we use, please see Google Analytics’ currently available opt-outs for the web at https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout.
3. How Serendipity Uses Information It Collects About You and the Purpose for the Collection and Use
We use Information that we collect about you or that you provide to us, including any Personal Information, for the following purposes:
- To provide you with the services that you request from us. For example, if you inquire regarding resources we provide, we will use the contact information you give us to communicate with you about the resources we provide.
- To provide support to our Site visitors, students, and student family members.
- To carry out our obligations and enforce our rights arising from any contracts entered into between you and us.
- To notify you about changes to our Site or any services we offer though it.
- To communicate with you regarding our services, including for marketing purposes.
- To personalize our services.
- In any other way we may describe when you provide the Information.
- To fulfill any other purpose for which you provide it.
- For any other purpose with your consent.
- To improve our Site and services and to develop new services.
Site statistics are compiled into traffic reports, which help Serendipity understand, anticipate, and respond to user needs. If we learn, for example, of heightened interest in certain aspects of the Serendipity website, we are likely to highlight that information on the Site home page. This Information helps us create a better overall experience for Site users.
Serendipity will retain your Information for as long as necessary to provide the services you have requested, comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements.
4. How Serendipity Protects Your Information
We have implemented measures designed to protect your Information from accidental loss and from unauthorized access, use, alteration, and disclosure. Unfortunately, the internet is not completely secure. Although we are working to protect your Information, we cannot guarantee the security of your Information either in transmission or when stored. We are not responsible for circumvention of any privacy settings or security measures contained on the Site.
5. How Serendipity Protects Student Information
Serendipity abides by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (“FERPA”) and state laws about student records. Other entities can access our student records only if allowed by applicable law and only when they agree to keep such student records confidential as required by applicable law.
6. When Serendipity Shares Your Information
We may use and disclose Non-Personal Information about our users without restriction. We may disclose Personal Information that we collect or you provide as described in this Privacy Notice:
- To contractors, service providers, and other third parties we use to support our mission, as described further below, including third party payment facilitators.
- To a successor (potential or actual) in connection with a restructuring, dissolution, or similar event, including any related due diligence, involving Serendipity.
- To fulfill the purpose for which you provide it.
- For any other purpose disclosed by us when you provide the Information.
- With your consent.
- To comply with any court order, law, or legal process, including to respond to any government or regulatory request.
- If we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to protect the rights, property, or safety of Serendipity or others.
Serendipity does not sell any of your Personal Information.
7. Third Parties Providing Services On Our Behalf
We use third parties to host the Site, design and operate the Site features, and to perform administrative, analytics, and payment processing. Services these third parties provide include providing information to Serendipity about the use of the Site and viewing of our content. We may disclose your Information to these companies so they can carry out these services.
8. Information From Children Under 13
Serendipity complies with the requirements of the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act and related regulations. The Site is not directed at children, and Serendipity does not knowingly collect any Information from children under 13 years of age through the Site. If Serendipity learns that a child under 13 years of age has provided Information through the Site, Serendipity will delete this Information from its databases. If you are under 13, do not use this Site or provide any Information about yourself to Serendipity, including your name, address, telephone number or email address. If you become aware that Information of a child under 13 years of age has been provided, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
9. Links to Other Websites and Services
We are not responsible for the practices employed by websites or services linked to or from the Site, including the information or content contained therein. Our Privacy Notice does not apply to third-party websites or services.
10. Do Not Track
Some browsers incorporate a “Do Not Track” (“DNT”) feature that, when turned on, signals to websites and online services that you do not want to be tracked. At this time, the Site does not respond to DNT signals.
11. Your Choices About Information
If you choose not to provide Information, you may be unable to access all or portions of the Site. If you no longer wish to receive marketing or promotional communications from us, click on the “unsubscribe link” provided in such communications or send us an email to email@example.com.
Please report your concerns about collection or use of Personal Information through the Site to firstname.lastname@example.org
12. Your California Privacy Rights
California’s “Shine the Light” law (Civil Code Section § 1798.83) permits users of our Site that are California residents to request certain information regarding our disclosure of Personal Information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. To make such a request, please contact us at the physical address or email address included below.
13. How To Contact Us About This Privacy Notice
To ask questions about this Privacy Notice and our privacy practices, contact us at email@example.com or by mail at:
Serendipity Center Inc.
ATTN: Compliance Manager
P.O. Box 33350
Portland, OR 97292
EFFECTIVE DATE: December 8, 2021