Serendipity Teacher-Counselor of the Year
Each year, one outstanding staff member who embraces the spirit of RE-Education is nominated by his/her peers and celebrated as Serendipity’s Teacher-Counselor of the Year! As a RE-Education program, Serendipity honors its staff members, all of whom are Teacher-Counselors.
A Teacher-Counselor is:
- a decent adult
- educated and well trained
- able to give and receive affection, to live relaxed, and be firm
- a person with private resources for the nourishment and refreshment of his/her own life.
- not an itinerant worker but a professional through and through
- a person with a sense of the significance of time, of the usefulness of today and the promise of tomorrow
- a person of hope, quiet confidence, and joy
- one who has committed him/herself to children and to the proposition that children can be helped by the process of RE-Education
Teacher-Counselor of the Year, 2016 Recipients:
Jen is one of the most heart centered people at Serendipity. She truly embodies the principles of Re-Education and is a master at collaborating with kids and understanding the importance of today. She is fully present, loving and positive. She in not only aware of the children’s needs but very aware of her shared responsibilities in developing strong teams. Her gentle disposition and professional mannerism is bar none. She never looks at children in need as problems, but as individuals with potential to share if given the opportunity. She is a true Teacher/Counselor and deserving of this recognition.
David Swanson, or better known as the “Child Whisperer” is an exceptional Teacher/Counselor. He is steady, professional, hopeful, confident, competent and devoted to helping students. His words and actions reveal him to be someone who truly believes Children will do well if they can. David understands that children from difficult circumstances often need someone to throw them a lifeline, and he does this on a daily basis. He is always willing to do anything that is asked of him and his efforts often go unnoticed. He starts everyday as a new day and spreads joy throughout the program.